Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One year since my Gastric Bypass

(Weight today: 187 LBS) This Thursday February 18th will be one year since my GB, and Sunday I turn 53 years old. I have to say that the past year has been one of the best of my life. Because of this miracle surgery and a lot of hard work I have lost 134 pounds. Each day is a new adventure. What should I eat, will I make time to exercise, and will I have control over my food addiction today? I'll be honest with you, the answer is not always yes. The important part is that I am always aware of where I have come from, and where I want to go. After I finished my three month training sessions it took a while for me to get up to speed at the gym all by my self. In training I was concentrating on a lot of core work that really helped tighten up some loose areas including my waist, chest, back, shoulders, and butt. Although I had weeks at a time that I was stalled at the same weight, my clothes were getting looser, and eventually the scale would move in the right direction if I increased my exercise and water intake. My daily diet hasn't been a problem. I tend to eat the same foods. Protein shakes with skim milk and fruit (usually a banana) in the morning. I have a yogurt or smoothie between breakfast and lunch, half of a whole wheat wrap of wheat bread sandwich at lunch saving the other half for an afternoon snack or dinner. At night I'll have one or two 60 to 100 calorie puddings (usually sugar free rice or tapioca) or a small bag of Smart food, my favorite indulgence.


I've talked before about the way I am able to listen to my stomach and use it as a tool. When my small pouch is full, it let's you know it is full. the key is eating slowly, and thoughtfully. I'm no longer unable to leave food on my plate. There are many times that I still order or take to much food. Which become leftovers or take-out. My wife enjoys it when we can split an entree, appetizer, or a salad. Portion size is key. Eating a good mix of good carbs and protein is important, as well as avoiding sweets and deserts. I definitely know my food weaknesses and avoid them like the plague.


What I do is very important, but how I think is even more important. That is why I network with other Gastric Bypass people, and also why I keep this blog. This is my reminder system. I often read it from the beginning to the current end and I thank god daily for the wisdom that I have come to find.


If you are reading this and can relate to any of it as a problem in your life, please know that there is hope for a more normal relationship with food. I chose Gastric Bypass. Please make a choice to take control of your food issues. It isn't easy, but it is worth it. I am worth it, and so are you. I'm Gary, and I'm a food addict. Today is a good day. I wish you the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment