Thursday, February 5, 2009

I've got a date with a surgeon


(14 days and counting) Life has been on hold for the last few months. Since fall of 2008 I have been planning everything around a date for my Gastric Bypass Surgery. I had three available holes in my DJ schedule that would give me enough time to recuperate and be ready for my next gig. The first available hole Jan 1 - Jan 31st passed. I had just begun the process with Tufts NE Medical Center. I had explained my availability to them and they were very accommodating, but I still had to finish the required process which I have explained in an earlier blog. My next hole was Feb 16 - Mar 6th, followed by Apr 6th - Apr 25th. As it got closer to my second hole I started to get frustrated. It had been more than a month since I met w/ my Surgeon and was approved for surgery and I was just waiting for the phone to ring w/ a date. I was on a mission this past Monday to get a date. I was going to call Tufts or even go in there if I had to. I made the phone call. I spoke to Tania, the surgeon's assistant. She was great. I got my date. Wednesday February 18th, 2009 at 7:30 AM. My original surgeon Dr. Shah will be on maternity leave so I requested the first available. It turned out to be Dr. Kim the surgeon who did my sisters GB. Tania called me on Tuesday afternoon to confirm. We set up appointments to meet Dr. Kim, and my anesthesiologist on the Friday before surgery. Once I hung up the phone it finally hit me. in two weeks I am having a Gastric Bypass. Wow!


My wife Sarah has been just amazing through the whole planning phase. We tend to take our marriage on as a series of projects. Although I know Sarah is very concerned about The GB, she knows that it will have many health benefits in the long run. Because Sarah works at a school she will be on February school vacation. She also arranged to take the following Monday and Tuesday off to take care of "The Old Man". My mother and sister live right across the street if I need some company after Sarah goes back to work. I really appreciate the family support circle. It's important. Next on my agenda, before pictures. I also need to finish gathering all of my "new food" for my post GB diet, and set up a comfortable recovery camp in the house. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I had wls in 2006; it has changed my life tremendously! I can't wait to see what wonderful changes take place in your life. Congratulations on your date!

    ReplyDelete