Wednesday, February 25, 2009


Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 (295 lbs.) We got to the Tufts Medical Center surgery center at just about 6:00 AM. I was about 15th in line to check in. I got my stylish hospital gown and then waited for them to call me for my surgery time of 7:30 AM. It was like clockwork. At exactly 7:30 they called my name and walked Sarah and I towards the O.R.. Sarah could only go half way and she was told to wait in waiting room #6 where Dr. Kim would visit her after my procedure. They rolled me into the prep area where they get you IV'd up, sedated, and the anesthesiologist speaks to you. All of the other patients there were non-elective, whereas my surgery was elective. The non-elective candidates all went before me, and then there was an emergency surgery that held my team up for just a little while. The finally rolled me into the O.R., and I guess I had myself extremely relaxed because as I was looking around at all of the hi-tech equipment and Laparoscopic instruments I was given a face mask and then I was out like a lite. I don't even remember being asked to count backwards from one hundred. (WARNING: GRAPHIC DETAILS) If you look at the diagram above, the picture on the left shows my stomach before Gastric Bypass. Everything comes into your normal stomach, goes out through your large intestine, then your small intestine, through your bowels, and then off to the potty. The diagram on the right shows that Dr. Kim made a small 2 oz. pouch, attached my small intestine to it bypassing my large intestine, and taking a shortcut to the end of the digestive track. Simple wasn't it? I guess that part is for those of you who are considering GB. If you are just reading this just because you know me, sorry.

The next thing I remember was Sarah telling me it was time to wake up. (Apparently the nurses couldn't wake me up). I remember looking up and seeing her, but most of all I remember feeling OK. I was aware of the mild pain in my stomach, but that was being taken care of by that wonderful drip coming from the I.V. bottle. I was so happy to see Sarah, and although she wasn't able to stay for long we both knew the surgery was over, and I was on the road to recovery and a new life. Next: My New Menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment